"All that I'm after is a Life full of Laughter...

As long as I'm laughing with you..."

Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday Dance Off! (#23)

Hello Friday Afternoon! Thank you for finally arriving to wrap up what turned out to be a great week!

Clinicals this week went surprisingly and unbelievably well! The highlight was definitely yesterday- such a great day!- based on OR selection availability (and a little hearty courage/mental instability), I went out on a limb and signed up to work a bronchoscopy/thoracoscopy/lobectomy case with our clinical coordinator. BEST decision of my week- the case rocked! Long-story-short, things got confusing in pre-op because of a trauma case that occupied my CRNA, so I dug up my NICU instincts (the ones that kicked in whenever we got a bad trauma and I didn't think I knew what to do, but somehow did), checked in with the temp CRNA who was setting up yet another OR, helped our MDA get the epidural block placed, got the paperwork started, got my patient to the OR, monitors placed, and preoxygenated, before my CRNA got back. THEN (and this was my jewel for the week), I not only got my ETT intubation, but I nailed my DOUBLE-LUMEN intubation (see comparison pictures below)!!!

Single Lumen ETT (placed routinely for general anesthesia):


Double Lumen ETT:


I learned how to "drop the operative lung" while the surgeon was working on it and how to re-inflate it while he looked for bleeders (omg- so cool!). My CRNA and I were complemented on our anesthesia for the case by the surgeon and at the end of the case, I got a high-five from my MDA- most definitely my highest complement thus far. Like I said, GREAT day. Have I mentioned that I love my job? :)

So here we sit on Friday afternoon- thrilled with this week's events in clinicals, watching Grey's Anatomy reruns on Lifetime (no new episode to catch up on today) while the rest of the Pack snoozes and I wait for Will to get home. Tonight is Beer(Jack)/Wings/Trivia Night at BWW with the Crowes! Last time we placed 3rd and got a $15 gift card (which will no doubt cover a round of drinks tonight-woohoo)! Here's to a great night followed by great sleep (past 4am)... and getting to the Fellowship meeting at 0900 NOT looking/feeling like a zombie!

Finally, to explain the title of this post. I totally stole this great idea from Marcie , but I'm currently compiling my list of 101 things to do in 1001 days. When I finally finish it, I'll post it, but apparently I'm either not very motivated or not very creative as I've gotten to #76 and have hit a mental block. Fortunately, I AM too creative to list "Duh" things like "Floss" and "Breathe," so the list will hit the Pack site whenever I come up with more exciting goals.
Anyway- all that to say this- I'm marking the first item off of this not-yet-completed list-
#23: Come up with a Blog gimmick (besides the list I stole).
And it shall be called "Friday Dance Off" (firewillheath already has the claim to the term "Dance Party").
And it shall feature either a photo or video spotlighting some form of dance in order to celebrate the end of a work week and the beginning of a hopefully awesome weekend! (Actually it unofficially started last Friday with the dancing bear... still hilarious...)
And it shall remind us all that, whether our weeks were great or terrible, we can keep it up or let it go by dancing it out!

So... with that... here's this week's Friday Dance Off contestant (and please feel free to join in- you know I will!):

1 comment: