"All that I'm after is a Life full of Laughter...

As long as I'm laughing with you..."

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ups and Downs

So.... here we are...

Anesthesia Clinicals Week 4... and today I felt like I was going completely backwards! The first few weeks I was getting every LMA placement and most of my intubations, working with and learning from lot of different people, even did my first pediatric mask case! and, honestly feeling like I was on fi-yah. Oh, how I should have remembered that in healthcare, like a lot of other careers I suppose, a little too much confidence can get your butt handed to you.... and oh, how it did. The end of last week handed me my first esophageal intubation (I "got the goose" as we call it... and it's not really THAT big of a deal in most cases as long as it's corrected, which it was). My CRNA that day was awesome about it- she told me to always be careful when your MDA tells you, "Oh, this should be easy for you." TOTALLY throws off your mojo.
(Aside: Friday night was awesome- at at BWW and played a little trivia with the Crowes (came in 3rd and I actually answered a whopping 2 questions... glad my knowledge of venomous snakes and classic horror lit came in handy). And Saturday was good- nice rainy day around the house and supper with the Tullys... But Saturday night.... ugh. Call it food poisoning. Call it a virus. I just called it Misery. Sparing the details... spent Sunday on the couch... spent Monday trying to catch my breath....)
Enter Tuesday: The Day I Can't Do ANYTHING RIGHT until right before I leave. That's right. Missed IVs. Couldn't see crap on intubations. Have I mentioned how frustrating it is trying to remember which CRNA handles which situations in which manners?! Yes, it's wonderful getting to see how different CRNAs practice... I just wish I could keep their preferences straight so I don't look like a moron every other day. I finally did get an intubation before I left so hopefully my CRNA today didn't think I was complete idiot. He and my MDAs were really nice about everything- apparently everyone has days like this even in practice. Great.
Anyway- tomorrow will be better.

And ready for a big weekend! Quiet birthday on Thursday, combined birthday dinner with Will's family on Friday, Jenn's Mardi Gras birthday party on Saturday, and our Super Bowl party on Sunday! WOOHOO!!!

Oh yeah, and LOST returns tonight.... between that and basketball I guess I'll talk to Will again sometime this summer...

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

No comments:

Post a Comment