"All that I'm after is a Life full of Laughter...

As long as I'm laughing with you..."

Friday, March 5, 2010

Friday Dance Off!

And so we find ourselves again on Friday afternoon! WOOHOO! And with a lot of random updates to boot!

I'm not sure I'd classify this as a "Rockstart Week," but I did have a great week at clinical- started some tough IVs, took some chances on independence, and have been learning to use a new drug- Fospropofol, the precursor to Propofol (our main induction/sedation drug). (Happy Sigh). Propofol. Fast onset. Quick duration. Also perfect for ICU sedation- we'd stop our drips just minutes before our neuro attendings would round- just long enough for a quick neuro exam, then right back to sedation. Ahhhhh.
Here's a picture of our lost dream drug, aka Milk of Amnesia:

(Frustrated Sigh) Yes, this is the same Propofol that made news with Michael Jackson's death, which was basically a case of a great drug used in the wrong place and without appropriate monitoring.
(Couldn't find a picture of Fospropofol... probably cause no one thinks it's cool enough to be photographed... but it comes in a similar bottle... and it's clear, not white (chemical composition reasons that would interest no one who reads this besides me).)

Our hospital currently has no Propofol available for general anesthesia use due to contamination in the manufacturing plant causing the plant to shut down. Fos has a longer onset and duration- messing up our normal timing for giving other drugs and basically running cases, so it's taking awhile to get used to making things run smoothly.

Sunday afternoon bike rides are still going well. Last weekend we did about 20 miles- still lagging behind the group of hardcore cyclers, but didn't stop and I don't die a little inside every time a car goes by. Moral victories can be victories too. I'm learning to view these rides as lessons in humility- which is good... cause at the end of these rides, my pride is nowhere to be found.

Quick update on my 101 list- I think it's done. I need to look over it one more time because my Type-A-self just can't let it go public yet.

Tomorrow is our Children's Choir Festival at St. Mark UMC. As dean of the children's division at Music and Arts Week this year, Jenn has worked really hard on putting this thing together. I hear that we have 12 kids coming that have never been to MAW, so hopefully we can show them how fun and special MAW is and increase our numbers this summer. I'll post more on MAW with a follow-up of the festival later this weekend. If you're not busy, their concert is at 2pm tomorrow- feel free to come and listen!

Gotta wrap this up- DBH is on his way home and tonight is Date Night- so I'll leave y'all with this week's Dance Off. Since I referred to him above, here's the King of Pop doing what he did best:



Happy Weekend!

1 comment: